No, you’re not seeing things, they’re round! That’s because they are made from delicious cinnamon raisin bagels. What could possibly make French toast even better? A double crunchy crust and the rich flavors of salty caramel and cinnamon, that’s what!
Also, I love a good shortcut and using salty caramel coffee creamer and cinnamon raisin bread certainly qualifies.
I used cinnamon and raisin bagels for this batch but it works as well with any type of cinnamon swirl bread. I like using bagels for my french toast because they are so nice and dense. You of course can use plain bread as well but you might want to bump up the amount of cinnamon in the flour mixture.
Start by mixing up your egg mixture. Combine a cup of salty caramel coffee creamer, 1/4 cup of cream, two eggs, and a teaspoon of vanilla. You don’t need a mixer for this, just use a spoon, fork, or whisk. Mix it well and set aside. Next comes the flour mixture. You can adjust this depending on how many pieces you’re going to make, but this should coat 6 pieces up nicely. Combine 2 cups of flour with 4 tablespoons of cinnamon sugar.
What gives these pieces an extra crunchy crust is the double flour coating. Most recipes only call for a dump in the liquid and then a coating of flour, but here you’re going to do one extra step. First take your bagel slice (or bread), roll it around in the flour ’til it has a good coating all over both sides.
Then dump it into your egg mixture, make sure it is coated on both sides. Lift it up above the bowl and let extra liquid drip off back into the bowl. Then give it another roll in the flour mixture.
See how the flour crust is thicker and with the double coating it sticks to the bread much better when you fry it up.
Now get your frying pan ready. I hope you’re going to use cast iron, but any frying pan will do. Cast iron is my go to for just about anything I’m pan frying. Melt LOTS of butter. Start with about 4-6 tablespoons. You want a nice butter bath for these to fry in. I like to have about a quarter inch at least in the bottom of the pan. Melt it and heat on medium high until the butter starts to bubble a little, then add your bread pieces.
Fry until nicely browned on both sides. Load those delicious slices onto a plate and add some butter and syrup……
See that super crunchy crust? Watch that lovely butter melt!
Wait for it……
Time to eat!
Remember to Love Madly, Laugh Loudly, and Eat Like a Boss!
Printable recipe below.
- 6 sliced cinnamon swirl bagels (for a total of 12 pieces) OR 12 slices of cinnamon swirl bread
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup salted caramel coffee creamer
- 1/4 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of salt
- 2 cups of flour
- 4 tablespoons cinnamon sugar
- About a stick of butter for frying
- Mix together flour, dash of salt, and cinnamon sugar
- Roll bread pieces in flour mixture
- Mix together coffee creamer, cream, eggs, and vanilla
- Drop bread pieces in the liquid mixture
- Drain off excess liquid back into the bowl
- Roll bread pieces in flour again (for a total of two times, once before the liquid then again after)
- Melt butter as needed in frying pan on medium high heat. Use enough to coat the bottom of the pan with about a quarter inch of oil.
- When the butter is bubbly hot put in bread pieces and reduce heat to medium. Cook until golden brown on each side.
- Re-butter pan and repeat process until all pieces are browned.
- Serve with butter and your favorite syrup.
- Tip: Be careful and don't let your butter burn during the frying process. Keep the heat set to medium and you should be fine!